During the app development process, the testers must pay critical attention to the testing process. This is because, by implementing proper test cases, it is possible to ensure the application’s stability and end-user satisfaction. While performing this process, the testers and app developers have to pay proper attention to the functionality of the visual elements present in the app. This is because the optical elements not only have a role in maintaining the application’s initial appeal but also allow the end users to perform the essential tasks on the application.
Properly implementing these elements becomes even more crucial when the developers are working with apps that go through a frequent updating process. So, it is essential to implement regression test cases in such applications properly. The integration of regression testing with automation testing can improve testing productivity.
With this article, the application developers can explore how they can get started with performing visual regression testing using the Cypress framework. During the discussion, we will also analyze some of the best practices, tools, and tips to help the new testers.
Test Automation and its Integration with Regression Testing
The app testers must perform regression testing every time the app undergoes development. Using an advanced testing process, testers can verify that the new feature does not harm the working of the existing features. It is also possible to ensure that both the new and old elements work closely to maintain the application’s stability. Since regression testing needs to be performed after every update to the app infrastructure, it is a highly repetitive and exhausting process. Therefore, the developers can benefit greatly from integrating automation and regression testing.
Using test automation, the developers can eliminate the requirements of a human testing team. This is because the system will use a series of pre-determined parameters for emulating various forms of user interactions on the web app. With the help of these human interactions, it is possible to analyze the stability and user interactivity of the application undergoing the development process. This process will also help the testers and developers to judge whether the app is ready to be forwarded to the production phase. While implementing automation testing, the app companies have complete freedom to make required changes in the test data according to the app project.
Modern automation test cases can help the visual regression testing processes in the following ways.
- Since automation testing will help the developers execute the regression test cases, they can focus on other creative areas of the app development project. For instance, they can discuss creating new features that can be rolled out in a future application update.
- Automation testing will massively boost the company resources in the long run. Using this process, the developers can save time and resources by eliminating the provisions for a manual testing team.
- While using automation testing, the application development teams can integrate with various tools, dependencies, and plugins that not only boost the application efficiency but also the quality of the app.
- While using automation testing, the testers can implement continuous integration and continuous development for performing the testing and development processes side-by-side in synchronization.
This process also helps the app testers eliminate errors and bugs immediately after detection. So they can smoothly continue with the development process. It also means that the app companies can wrap up the app development processes within just a few days.
LambdaTest and How it Benefits Visual Regression Testing
While performing visual regression testing, app developers need the involvement of real devices to properly verify the placement of all the UI elements based on the physical parameters of a device. In such a scenario, the app developers can use cloud-based platforms like LambdaTest. Using this platform, the developers can execute the automation test cases on thousands of real devices through remote servers. This platform also allows app developers to orchestrate and implement automation test cases with the inclusion of artificial intelligence. This platform can run the Cypress test cases on more than 40+ different browser instances simultaneously.
While using LambdaTest for executing Cypress-based visual regression test cases, the app Testers can utilize the following features:
- The LambdaTest real device testing cloud provides access to thousands of real devices, including older browser versions and legacy devices, to improve customer reach. This is because a considerable audience base still relies on older software and hardware versions.
- While executing the Cypress test cases using the LambdaTest API, the app developers can use parallel test execution to include thousands of testing combinations on different machines simultaneously.
- The LambdaTest automation testing dashboard maintains a real-time activity log that keeps track of all the test cases. Using this data, the app developers can also use the previously failed test cases as a reference to avoid such errors.
- LambdaTest has an extensive support system consisting of over-the-call support, live chat, and a 24-hour mailing service. With the help of all these features, the developers can receive the required information about various services and tools available with this platform. This platform also has a massive community of developers and testers to discuss among themselves on multiple issues.
- After executing the Cypress test cases, LambdaTest will generate a detailed test report that will not only consist of extensive test logs but will also have visual elements like screenshots and videos. Using all these data, the app testers can quickly locate the faulty components and proceed towards the troubleshooting and debugging process.
Visual Regression Testing Using Cypress
The LambdaTest cloud environment allows app developers to execute visual regression test cases using Cypress easily. The testers must implement a few prerequisites for this process and follow a series of simple steps. So, we have mentioned all the required information in the intended order.
First, the application developers have to navigate to the official website of LambdaTest and set up their accounts in case they do not have one. This step only involves following a few on-screen instructions and logging in to the account. Purchasing the LambdaTest license will provide access to the username and access key for running the test cases on the LambdaTest real device cloud.
- It is also essential to download and install the Lambda test Cypress CLI on the testing machine. The following command will help in the installation process.
- After completing the installation process, the testers have to set up this configuration using the command mentioned below.
- After completing the command, LambdaTest will create the LambdaTest-config.json file in the target project folder. After this, the automation testers must enter their username and access key in the designated LambdaTest profile section.
- After performing the LambdaTest and Cypress configuration, it is time to configure the test cases to run on the target browsers, devices, and operating systems. Using the following command, the app developers can efficiently perform this configuration process.
- The JSON file will contain a run_setting section, allowing the developers to configure the Cypress test cases using their desired capabilities.
- If the app testers want to implement the visual regression test cases on web apps that are locally hosted, they can use the tunnel capabilities provided by the native LambdaTest servers. The following code will allow the app developers to configure this capability.
- Running Visual Regression Test Cases
After wrapping up the initial configuration, the app testers can proceed with the test case execution process.
- By implementing the LambdaTest automation dashboard, the testers can visualize the current status of the test case execution stage.
- By navigating to the automation logs from the LambdaTest automation dashboard, the developers will see a detailed snapshot indicating the progress of the currently running visual regression testing process.
- The cloud environment of LambdaTest will allow app developers to achieve optimal visual test coverage without changing the core logic of the test case. It is also possible to achieve this goal by adding multiple operating systems and browsers.
- After the execution of the testing process, the developers can visualize the test performance metrics by accessing the LambdaTest analytics dashboard. The primary motive of the test overview section is to provide a snapshot of the tests that have been performed with consistent and stable behavior. On the other hand, the test summary will show all the test instances that have failed or passed. This portion will also keep track of all the pending and completed test cases.
Finally, the developers can access the official documentation of LambdaTest and Cypress to get detailed information about all the other methods, features, and tools available with this software. The official website of LambdaTest also discusses some of the critical errors that can arise during the execution of visual regression test cases. It also provides multiple solutions that can help the application developers to avoid these errors.
The Final Verdict
With this article, we aimed to guide the new testers toward performing their first visual regression test cases using the Cypress automation testing framework.
For the general understanding, we also emphasized the importance of integrating automation testing with modern visual regression test cases. To properly utilize all the features of automation testing, the developers must constantly learn about all the revolutionary trends and innovations in these segments.
A useful parameter would be to conduct thorough market studies to understand the requirements of the target audience system. Using this data, the developers and testers can customize their applications to serve a wider audience segment.
Finally, the Cypress testers must be careful while choosing their automation testing tool as it will have a huge impact on the testing productivity. Some of the important factors that they can consider include their preferences and test requirements.